Griffith cosplay from Berserk Costume + prop making, modeled by:Photography by:
I made and wore this costume to Sydney Supanova 2010, entering in Round 3 of the Madman National Cosplay Championships, and recieved 2nd place~!!
This was taken during my second time wearing this costume, at Animania 2010, where I won Best Male as well
Rachel and I just decided to go outside and shoot the crap out of Griffith.
I really love this shot myself because it is one of the rare full body shots that show off the whole costume.
Hope you enjoy! The Berserk Collection: Griffith:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~About the Costume:
This costume is one of my best work to date. I spent over 2 months constructing this armour. Armour and Cape:
The armour is mostly made from expanded PVC plastic. This is like a hard durable sheet of compressed foam particles.
To get the cleanest cut from this material I used a craft knife and cut every single detail needed from the PVC plastic by hand.
There were so many pieces to this armour it drove me nearly insane. And my elbow at one point literally dropped and my arm could not move from cutting the plastic for such a long time.
All the feathery details on the armour were cut out individually then heated one by one before being shaped, and put together into layers with contact adhesive.
There were over 300 feathers all over this costume.
Each multilayered piece of armour and were cut then glued together then heated up and shaped.
There are 200 small rivets on the armour which were hand made from Sculpey oven dry clay, for accurate size.
Every piece of armour was painted with a gradient effect by blending aluminium spray paint with metallic charcoal spray paint. This allowed the edge of my armour to absorb the light and appear darker and the centre of the armour to reflect light, giving it more body and depth of colour, as well as the whole thing to photographer well in any possible light.
The cape is made from silver satin and lined with some heavy cotton.
The belts are made from real leather~ <3Sword and scabbard:
First I made the scabbard by carving two pieces of 12mm mdf. The blade was then patterned from the scabbard.
For the blade I made it with traditional Japanese katana techniques because the shape of the saber was so similar to a Japanese katana.
The blade was also cut from a sheet of 12mm MDF wood. edges and blood groove were carved with an electric router, then sanded by hand. The surface was then smooth by using spray putty and then hand sanding.
The hilt was the most challenging of all, because not only did it have 7 layers of wings... it also had to be a round structure.
The wings were patterned many times and experimented with cardboard and sticky tape before cutting out from PVC plastic.
The handle was then finished off by wrapping a lovely navy blue chord tightly around it.
The sword was then also painted with gradient effects.
This costume started out to be just an obligatory costume which I was going to make to cosplay with
, but as I progressed with it, it became so much more, and now it has become my best work, and most sentimental costume by far.
Lots of Special thanks go to these following people:
for introducing me to this series and this character. Also for having me over at his house every week for the past month.
for being my power, strength and will for the past few weeks.
for the incredible help with my backdrop before the convention, the stage set up during the event, and helping me with maths...LOL, and also bringign me food and drinks on the day.
for stalking my progress regularly.
for the support during the week approaching the event.
for a wonderful madman round.
for such incredible help backstage.